Tuesday, May 21, 2013
Mr. Jobe, Director of Technology:
Adding District Printers to Your Personal Mac OS X Lion Laptop
- click the Apple in the far upper left corner of the screen
- select SYSTEM PREFERENCES
- click PRINT & SCAN
- if the padlock in the lower left of the PRINT & SCAN control panel is locked you should click it and enter your username/password to unlock it
- click the + button under the PRINTERS list on the left of the PRINT & SCAN window
- clicking the + will show a short menu of printers, but due to the fact that they are listed by model number you don't know which is which. In a home or small office where there might only be one printer this is fine, but we have many (aprox. 25 printers in each school) so this isn't too handy. Choose the ADD OTHER PRINTER OR SCANNER option from the top of the menu.
- an ADD PRINTER window will appear. At the top of the window click the IP icon to the right of DEFAULT and FAX.
- next to PROTOCOL pull down the menu and choose HP JETDIRECT
- to the right of ADDRESS type the Fully Qualified Domain Name of the printer you would like to add
Giles printer names (older and non-shared printers not listed):
gtlounge.norridge80.org is the b&w in the teacher's lounge, HP LaserJet 4015
gtlounge2.norridge80.org is the color printer in the teacher's lounge, HP Color LaserJet 3800
gelemlaser2.norridge80.org is the b&w in Ms. Morrone's room, HP LaserJet 4015
gupperelem2.norridge80.org is the b&2 in Ms. Bergrenn's room, HP LaserJet 4015
gupperjh3.norridge80.org is the b&w in Mrs. Figliuolo's room, HP LaserJet 4015
glc3.norridge80.org is the b&w in the computer lab, HP LaserJet 4200
glc4.norridge80.org is the b&w in the learning center, HP LaserJet 4015
Leigh printer names (older and non-shared printers not listed):
ltlounge.norridge80.org is the b&w in the teacher's lounge, HP LaserJet 4015
ltlounge2.norridge80.org is the color printer in the teacher's lounge, HP Color LaserJet 3800
lelemlaser.norridge80.org is the b&w in Mrs. Matz room, HP LaserJet 4015
lupperelem2.norridge80.org is the b&w in Mrs. Ottens room, HP LaserJet 4015
ljrhigh2.norridge80.org is the b&w in Ms. Peteck's room, HP LaserJet 4015
llc4.norridge80.org is the color laser in the learning center, HP Color LaserJet 3800
llc5.norridge80.org is the b&w laser int he learning center, HP LaserJet 4015
- do not type anything in the field to the right of QUEUE
- your Mac will copy the FQDN you have entered to the right of NAME. You can leave this as is or provide an alternate name.
- you can type in a room number or location descriptor in the field to the right of LOCATION if you choose (optional)
- Your Mac will try to automatically select the right printer software. The driver will be shown to the right of PRINT USING. If your Mac can't find the right software it will select a generic print driver or ask you to select from a list. Use a driver that matches the model numbers listed above if possible. The generic postscript driver seems to work fine with the HP Laserjet 4015, but the HP Color LaserJet is a bit pickier. If you can not find a usable driver you should cancel printer setup, run Software Update, and then try adding the printer again (Mac printer drivers are supplied by Apple through Software Update).
- Once a driver has been selected click the ADD button.
- The printer will show up in the printers list on the PRINT & SCAN control panel.
- click the PADLOCK so that it goes to locked state. This will disallow random or unintentional changes to your control panels.
First Day of School